SerenityMovie.net Forum Index SerenityMovie.net
Firefly / Serenity discussion boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The monster in the closet - or what about the Serenity con?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SerenityMovie.net Forum Index -> Browncoat Cruise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyrax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Mmmusings.

I'm sure that our organizers are furiously working on the guest list, trying to firm things up, etc. But they can't announce a guest as coming until that person commits. And my guess is that for the actors and other potential guests, priorities have to go to ongoing work projects - and those schedules can be fluid and depend on lots of other factors. I have a buddy who works behind the scenes in Hollywood and we meet every year for a camping event. He never knows when he can go and whether he'll be working then, even though his work schedule is normally only 10-12 days a month. You might think that would make it easier, but if you are only paid while working and that work is sporadically offered, you need to find a way to accept what's offered to you so that the next time an opportunity comes up it goes to the next guy/gal on the list.

In the end, I can just feel the stress that's been added for the Cruise organizers. They're trying to get all of the financial stuff worked out, continually working on the budget to figure out what they can afford in terms of appearance fees and comped rooms, keeping the cruise line happy and us happy. And now with the announcement of this conflicting (somewhat) event, all of that has become even more complicated. My guess is that they've already personally paid or guaranteed a significant amount of money to both the cruise line and for the guests already scheduled, as well as having made offers to others that they hope to bring "on board" as it were.

In the end, I've paid in full, so I've got to keep thinking positive thoughts and hope that things get worked out. So far I'm looking at this as a cruise (my first) and as a chance to meet more folks with similar interests. If more guests and activities are added - great!
kurya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theonetruebix wrote:
kurya wrote:
Jeremy is there anyway to post potential guests? so people have an idea of what to expect even if they arent 100% confirmed?

I doubt Jeremy needs me or anyone else to say this, but: No, do not do this. It's just begging for trouble.

hehehe
i know i know... its a stretch..and going down the road of flan.... I guess an approximate timeline would be nice. Like how many days weeks etc...
Prakash

Canadian, canuck wannabe? Join:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/canadianbrowncoats
raisingal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am disappointed that there is anything Firefly related happening within weeks and miles of our cruise. Those of us here on the boards have mostly bought into the crusie already. It is those fans that have yet to hear about either the con or the cruise and will likely have to choose one. The positive word of mouth that was generated from B3 and based on Done the Impossible is what got so many of us interested in the cruise in the first place. We really need to talk up the cruise and our faith in the organizers so that people who haven't heard about the cruise yet hear about it first.

I know nothing about Sean's other events, except what I have read here. I hope that we can all talk up the positive aspects of the cruise without speaking negatively about any other events or activities. We are above that. Based on my experience at B3, I assume that many of the vendors would want as many opportunities to sell their wares and I don't want to hinder their chances of selling as much and to as many people as they can.

I agree with b!x (and not just because I am a minion) regarding the annoucement of guests. There are legal aspects that have to be taken into consideration. No one wants to buy into something, financially or otherwise and be disappointed. I am fine learning how to be patient and that way when someone is announced it is a for sure.

Keep up the great work Jeremy and crew!!
theonetruebix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.cantstopthesignal.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78723&postcount=6

Sean Harry:

Quote:
Currently Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin are all signed up. (I did announce them both on Saturday night).

I'm in talks with 4 other BDH who have effectively said 'yes', but contracts etc. need to be done. That includes only one of the BDH's that you mentioned (don't know were the rumours came from on the other one).

There will probably be around 12 guests.

The ones mentioned earlier by a poster, of which Sean says "only one" has effectively said "yes", were Nathan and Summer.

I suppose there's enough time between now and then for me to have won the lottery, right?

ETA: This is becoming, personally, a consternation for me. Sean's thing looks to be locked in come April, pretty solidly and appealingly. But the next Cruise payment is due April 1 -- and I'm having trouble now trying to justify making that payment if Sean's thing looks like it's going to look and the Cruise is still mainly a social thing.

(While I absolutely have been seeing the cruise as a sort of social followup to Backup Bash, a social event in and of itself doesn't carry the weight for me as a kind of con/social hybrid has been so far.)

I am one giant exploding head now.
Jetflair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bix's thinking here. What the social interation with other fans is probably the most gratifying part of a convention at the end of the day, it's the actors and the promise of meeting them that bring us all together. A large number of my online friends are leaning towards the con because of the actors (and a variety of personal timing issues), so if I want social interation with my friends, I have to go where they are.

I feel a great deal of loyalty to the cruise organizers, and I want to stay booked on the cruise. I think the cruise sounds absolutely awesome, and I believe it's being run by ethical browncoats as opposed to a convention company willing to trample on their interests. I think staying on the cruise is the right thing to do......we browncoats stick by each other when the chips are down, right? I really feel for all of you guys working on the cruise right now.

But that's becoming a harder stance by the second. Between the already-confirmed actors, the awesome-sounding events, and the notion that there are going to a be a *lot* of cast members there, and the fact that so many of my dear online friends are leaning towards the con, it's going to be very hard to "hold" so to speak.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we kind of need the cruise organizers to do the (maybe) impossible right now.........to tell us what we can expect in the way of guests and activities and why we should be more excited about going on the cruise. Because right now the Alliance is making themselves sound awfully inviting Sad
tdbrown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith in Jeremy. He said he has people signed up, doing the paperwork, and I believe him. I also happen to think that, if there are indeed going to be that many BDHs attending Sean's Con, at least a few of them wouldn't mind taking a little break afterward. In fact, maybe they'd like to take a relaxing cruise with about 200 or so "Family" and Friends. Very Happy Cool Wink

No pressure; Just a free cruise with us Cool
marajade29sm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know...I signed up for the Cruise with no promise of BDH's...just the promise to try. I was more for the re-capturing and revisiting some of the B3 coolness and seeing everyone again...if guests show up, great. If not, I still planned to have an amazing time.

And I still do.

I don't think the *guests* will have to choose which event they want to attend...if they have the time and the inclination, and they're getting paid, there is no reason why they can't do both. Just because someone is announced for the con doesn't mean they won't be on the cruise, and vice versa.

It's the whole splitting the fanbase thing that I am upset about. I dearly hope that there are enough of us to support both events, even when teh vast majority of us have to choose between them, because after the Flan fiasco, we don't need any more kicks to the nether regions, you know? It'd be awesome to have two very different and yet very successful Browncoat events, on top of charity screenings and the Serenity Special Ed DVD...I mean, how awesome is 2007 looking for our 'verse?! I just hope we can pull it all together and make it all work.

From the looks of things, Sean is moving to the US full time, so with any luck, Starfury will have another US-based Serenity-centric con in 2008. Because, I tell ya, if I could do both, I absolutely would, as I'm sure the rest of you would, too. God, even if there were a few months between the two, so I could get my crap together, I'd be considering it. I really want both to succeed.

But my heart is with the cruise, regardless. I wasn't even into the idea until I met everybody at B3. Suddenly the idea of spending nearly a week on a boat with a bunch of Browncoats became the best thing I could think of to do. And guests or no guests, I still can't come up with anything more different or fun from any of my other con-like experiences thus far. Plus, we have the Bards and freaking Niska! I'm still on the boat! Smile
jeremy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody. As was mentioned earlier, we are still in the process of signing guests up. And we can't make any official announcements until paperwork is signed. However, since many of you are anxious about this situation and our desire is to be as open about things as possible, I'll tell you what I can...

At this point we are 98% sure we will have one BDH on board (no not Nathan, sorry, at this point we probably can't afford him, and he's not gotten back to us on his availability).

We are hoping to have two and possibly three BHDs eventually, but little progress has been made beyond the one. We are also in negotiations to get several LDHs/Little Damn Heros (i.e. guest stars from Firefly / Serenity), and we are very sure we will get several, meaning at least 3-4 more of them, in addition to Michael/Niska. As well as some people involved in creating the shows. We also have one guest from Buffy (not a scooby) that we are 100% sure is coming, we just have to get the final paperwork signed.

All that being said, with Sean's event being so close to ours and so "Con-like" we are going to re-focus our cruise from less of a con on a boat to more of a party cruise full of browncoats, some of whom happen to be a bit famous Smile. And trust me, unlike some cons, there will be NO down time, it will be a 24 hour party!

So to that end, we are doing what we can to reduce our costs and pass those savings on to you. The first thing we are going to do with our "re-focusing" is to downplay events like autograph and photo sessions by making those optional "upgrades", since those are very con like.

Basically we are going to bring the baseline price down, and make more of the con-like features upgradable options. We've worked the numbers (alot!) and we can't give exact figures yet, but I think you will all be pleased. (Yes we will issue partial refunds to those that have paid in full.) We are also going to move back the first payment due date by one month, as we don't have the "Cruise Tracking System" in place yet to process the payments properly.

A soon as we announce our first (and possibly only) BDH, we will announce the new pricing structure and options packages.

Part of the reason we are re-thinking our pricing a bit, is so that if you have the available time and a little more credit card space, you might even be able to do both events.

Rest assured, Browncoat Cruise will go forward, in spite of this situation. And I look forward to having a grand time with you all.

Jeremy

PS. Bix!!! You're fading... We need your enthusiasm back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marajade29sm wrote:
I dearly hope that there are enough of us to support both events

Without doubt, there are. If I understand things correctly, Jeremy wants 250 people, and Starfury wants 600. That's only 850 altogether; there have been Firefly cons in England with more than 850 people present! I'm sure the much bigger land of America can manage that number, particularly as there will be people traveling to these events from all around the world. I believe that both events will be resounding successes, and will demonstrate that Browncoatdom is alive and kicking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companion Kate wrote:
marajade29sm wrote:
I dearly hope that there are enough of us to support both events

Without doubt, there are. If I understand things correctly, Jeremy wants 250 people, and Starfury wants 600. That's only 850 altogether; there have been Firefly cons in England with more than 850 people present!

Well, in fairness, England's a smaller space so it's less travel expense for people. That was also during the time where the 'verse was still alive in a commercial sense (interest has dipped since then - Sean's last Serenity event didn't even reach half that number). Starfury's event also has a big conventional convention draw: cast members. Potential 12 of them. With tiered tickets. That will sell by the truck load. And there's some awful grammar from me here.

It's a mixed bag. There's no way I'd say it's certain there's enough people to do both, as we're a fickle bunch, and the Cruise is in a slightly different position to what it was in before (ie the only event this year).

That said, the steps Jeremy has outlined about are spot on for the situation. So it's not like I'm sayin' they're mismanaging the situation because they really aren't. What I am sayin' (in my trademark slow and annoying way) is this is a bit of a bump in the road which alters the landscape for both the organisers and the fans alike.
jeremy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate - I like your "attitude of abundance" as I'm a subscriber of that philosophy. I really hope we are right. I think the best way for that to work is for us to make our two events as complimentary as possible.

I kind of compare them to Comic Con vs Dragon Con. Comic Con is the formal event, where as Dragon Con is pure 24 hour party, with some famous folks partying along with everybody. Browncoat Cruise will be much more like Dragon Con.

If you are interested in limited access to A LOT of cast (generally just a few seconds during autographs and photos) and a fair amount of down-time in between. Sean's event is for you.

If you are interested in fewer cast but much better access and NO down-time, plus... it's a frikn' cruise, then Browncoat Cruise is for you.

Keep in mind, Sean plans to do more events in the US going forward, we may or may not do another cruise, so there will be opportunities to go to a Sean event in the future as well, there may not be another chance to cruise with browncoats.

And for the record, I'm not trying to bash Sean's event, and this is as negative as I'll ever get about it. I went to his very first Serentiy con in London, and it was fun, nearly all the cast were there. But I will say that there was a lot of sitting around/waiting in lines doing not much of anything. Kind of like Flan 1 only a bit more sitting. Again that's not a slam, it was just my honest experience. But I did have a lot of fun.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theonetruebix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy wrote:
PS. Bix!!! You're fading... We need your enthusiasm back!

Hi.

I suppose this is my cue to fully explain my thinking on the matter. Understand that this is all about my personal choice to make, and not a questioning of the Cruise as an event in and of itself.

For me, the appeal of the Cruise has always been the intention to try to combine the two worlds -- the convention and the social event. The comparison to DragonCon is perhaps an unintentionally apt one, because it's an event I would never in a million years have any interest in attending.

For me, one of the issues at hand now is the fact that unlike a lot of other Browncoats (including the Cruise organizers), I have never had the traditional con experience of, for example, Firefly/Serenity cast panels. Given everything in which I've been involved over the past two years within this fanbase, that drive me crazy.

To have the very real option of being able to experience some of the more traditional stuff (but also with some social things that seem reminiscent of some of the Backup Bash parties), well that's appealing to me in a way that's forcing me to have to make some decisions.

Understand that whatever my personal decision ends up being, I have no intention of no longer pimping the Cruise to people. It's a singularly unique event, and I know that I keep running into people on the boards who haven't heard of it before and are excited about it when they do. It's important to keep spreading the word.

But (again, personally) my conflict right now is whether or not I can justify the expense -- both in money and a week's worth of time -- for 5 days of partying, when I now have the option of actually having the Verse-related conevntion experience I havdn't yet had.

I don't know what my decision will be, and I'm certainly glad I don't have to make it by April 1, since the next Cruise payment has been pushed back. This week has been something of a manic crush of new developments and feeling like decisions had to be made ASAP with not enough information with which to make them. That, at least, is lessened now.

But, mainly, since I was called out to here, I figured I had the responsibility to try to spell out what my head is doing.
Jetflair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the info, Jeremy. I just discovered another problem with "differentiation" - both events are sounding like more fun by the day!

The cruise sounds like my kind of event....I'm very much a smaller numbers, more relaxed, more access sort of person. B3 was my first "con" (in both meanings of the word!) and I chose to go to it because it was smallish.

The idea of playing paparazzi standing in line for a few seconds with an actor, where I'm basically there to get something from them and not to actually meet them as human beings has limited appeal to me. These guys mean a lot more to me than just someone to get an autograph from, and I have more respect for them than that. That's why I chose Flan2, although having seen just how many people even the 300 or so of us that were at B3 really are I'm changing my definition of small!

So yes, I think the cruise has exactly the right model there. Plus, well, as Jeremy keeps saying, it's a cruise! How much fun is that? Never been on one of those before, and I want to. How much more fun would a cruise full of browncoats be than a regular cruise?

But then there's a flipside. It sounds like the con is going to have a huge lineup of guests (and possibly Nathan! yes I'm obsessed), and at some point I have to wonder if the chance to meet them even briefly is better than not meeting them at all. Their events sound like lots of fun (they seem to be learning lessons from the success of B3), and most importantly, most of my online friends are leaning that way. I truly want to see these people again. I'd love it if I got to see all of them again on the cruise rather than the con, but it's not looking like its shaking up that way.

The fandom needs to win the lottery. Gorramit!
CrankyBeach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... this here minion plans to be on the boat.

And depending on the budget... might even make it to the con as well. We shall see. But the boat is non-negotiable. Barring injury or illness, of course, in which case we thank whatever deities are listening for the travel insurance policy we had the foresight to buy!

kurya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy thanx for outling in vague terms of whats going on, and I am very much grateful for this. As I said before I am 100% going to the cruise... unless i lose all my money.... :S *happy thoughts*, and I am interested in meeting other folks first and foremost. If there is at least 1 BDH and a few LDH's etc then that is even better. And the "refocusing" is great I like the idea of a 24 hour -5 day party on a boat. And if it becomes more economical then even better...I am not a fan of autographs and photos,well i may go for just one.

I understand the fact that some peope have to choose the other convention. And hopefully there will be enough of us have both events, just again its too bad Starfury was scheduled so close to this event.

And thanx for pushing back the 1st payment due deadline... since I wasnt even aware of until yesterday when it was...
Prakash

Canadian, canuck wannabe? Join:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/canadianbrowncoats
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
Sean's last Serenity event didn't even reach half that number

If you're talking about Serenity 4, that's coz it was in Scotland. Scotland != England. Scotland, England; not the same country! Population of England = 50 million; population of Scotland = 5 million. Spot the difference. (And incidently, how many other TV shows could command their own exclusive con in a country of 5 million people? That alone shows how much support Firefly still has)

I seem to recall there were about 800 at Serenity 3 (in England). That's from memory, so forgive me if the number's out.

There's definitely enough of us to pack out both the cruise and Serenity LA. Maybe it all just depends on how far people are prepared to travel, but we've definitely got the numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, you have my thanks as well for your first post, clarifying a lot of information plus the new. This has reassured me greatly.

T
Kyrax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya J wrote:
Jeremy, you have my thanks as well for your first post, clarifying a lot of information plus the new. This has reassured me greatly.

Me too. Thanks J - that was a lot of help and does make me much more comfortable about the situation. Makes my reassuring comments earlier seem reasonable rather than wildly optimistic. Cool

Heck, you're doing better and have bigger ambitions than I honestly expected. And big kudos for the positive attitude towards the situation and towards the "abundance" for us fans.

Last edited by Kyrax on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
theonetruebix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy wrote:
Keep in mind, Sean plans to do more events in the US going forward, we may or may not do another cruise, so there will be opportunities to go to a Sean event in the future as well, there may not be another chance to cruise with browncoats.

Altho, here's Sean on his forums:

Quote:
But it'll only be short term. I don't intend to run events in the US for to long. ... Interest will soon die down in the likes of FIREFLY and THE L WORD.

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you're talking about Serenity 4, that's coz it was in Scotland. Scotland != England. Scotland, England; not the same country! Population of England = 50 million; population of Scotland = 5 million. Spot the difference.

Hey, condescending much? I can say, in fact, not only have I visited Scotland before, I lived there for many years. If a few hundred miles is the sole cause for a massive drop off in customers, then the US is massively bigger and the population much more spread out, so you know..

From everything I've seen, interest in Serenity in terms of the online fandom is dropping off, which effects numbers going to events. It's natural, and the good news in the Firefly arena it's a slower decline than elsewhere. I'm hopeful that there's an audience for both events, the challenge will be reaching that audience.
RachVG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kev. Was Aberdeen Britain's Happiest City when you lived there? Because apparently it is now.
Cider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things:

Firstly, Jeremy you rock so damn hard trying to work things out with the Starfury con and the cruise and please please please do another one next year that I can actually attend. If I had the choice I would be cruising - actually if I had the choice and the money I would be doing both.

Secondly - I agree that there should be sufficient Browncoats to enable both to run successfully. Yep, there were only 260 odd of us at S4, but that's because it was in Scotland. And that has nothing to do with the Scotland's population as I think there were more people who actually travelled from outside the UK there than there were Scots. The majority of people there were English. Unfortunately, many people who live south of Birmingham cannot find their way north past it.

Thirdly - Serenity Infinity has already sold more tickets than were sold to S4, and tickets only went on sale on Sunday and I think it will sell out or close to. If we can still get 800 people to a con in the UK - I think you guys can manage 850.

www.browncoatevents.com

www.whedonsworld.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
impalergeneral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I kind of compare them to Comic Con vs Dragon Con. Comic Con is the formal event, where as Dragon Con is pure 24 hour party, with some famous folks partying along with everybody. Browncoat Cruise will be much more like Dragon Con.

Well, I've never been to anything Dragon Con-like, so I'm game. I put my money on the cruise, and I'm-a sticking to my choice. Besides, it was a good enough excuse to get a passport, since I planned to get one to see an event not quite Serenity-related.
As for making a trip to L-A in November for the Starfury Shindig, that depends on what it will be like, and the ticket prices. I have been to "traditional cons" with fan panels and the like. That includes the Flan and a few Buffy-related things. Trying a cruise would be a new thing, and I lean towards new things anyway.
bookaddict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy and all I was getting a bit anxious. Since I'm coming from Australia and can only choose one event I needed the reassurance.
tdbrown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bix quotes Sean as saying the following:

"But it'll only be short term. I don't intend to run events in the US for to long. ... Interest will soon die down in the likes of FIREFLY and THE L WORD."

Not wanting to snipe or cause trouble, but Sean sounds like more of an Entrepeneur than a Fan. More power to him, but I prefer "Family". It's the Cruise for me! Smile
crazygolfa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still going cruisin'. I already paid for the down payment, and the like. And the idea of the cruise is so much better than a normal con. And anyway, I already got those days off, when the cruise is planned, so I'll be doing that. Cons do seem way to impersonal to me, and that's why I don't do cons.

And thanks for pushing back the payment deadline. Although, I would have been able to pay for now, with the extra month, I'll have more money saved so I can pay for it without being worried that I might go into debt.
mikamom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have paid in full cruise tickets. I have room reservations. I have paid for airline tickets out of Denver even though I don't know where we will be stationed come December. My husband will soon leave for Afganistan and will not be home till October. WE ARE GOING ON THIS CRUISE! I'm not happy that a business man decided to piggy-back on this time and space, but his con will attract those that would not have the extra funds that a cruise would cost anyway. The guests that live in the area may have the opportunity to do both. Those actors that can't do an apperance for more than the weekend because of time restrictions would not be able to go. I am going to have the best time of my life no matter what! There is enough time till then for both events to get good attendance in my view.

Please forgive any spelling errors, I'm in a hurry to go pick up husband at the airport. Later to all and a good night as well.
mmmusings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy -- thank you very much for the update. We're looking forward to hitting the Mexican Riviera with you and the rest of the 'coats!

Thank you, CA Browncoats/Actors/Dealers/Sponsors for an AMAZING time at the Browncoat Back Up Bash!!
Cider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdbrown wrote:
Bix quotes Sean as saying the following:

"But it'll only be short term. I don't intend to run events in the US for to long. ... Interest will soon die down in the likes of FIREFLY and THE L WORD."

Not wanting to snipe or cause trouble, but Sean sounds like more of an Entrepeneur than a Fan. More power to him, but I prefer "Family". It's the Cruise for me! Smile

Not to sound like a creep or anything, but having been to Sean's conventions for the past 5 years, I can tell you he is a fan, in fact he is possibly responsible for the making of many a UK Browncoat. Bringing 3 Firefly guests over to a Buffy convention some years ago, when Firefly was little known in the UK. I know plenty of people who were turned on to Firefly just by meeting Nathan, Summer and Jewel at that con, even though they only knew Nathan as Caleb.

On the other side of that, you don't run conventions just for the fun of it, it costs money to bring the guests over, hire the venue etc, if you are not going to at least break even on your cons you are eventually going to run into a Flan situation.

www.browncoatevents.com

www.whedonsworld.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RachVG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with Cider there. Sean's often said that he won't book guests if he's not a fan of the show, as there's no enjoyment for him. He's holding a Veronica Mars/Prison Break con in May and the VM guests are ONLY because he was cajoled into it by his customers - he hates the show. And now the con isn't selling as well as he'd have liked, he's wishing he'd gone with his gut instinct and stuck to the way he's always done it - just with shows he likes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SerenityMovie.net Forum Index -> Browncoat Cruise All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: