SerenityMovie.net Forum Index SerenityMovie.net
Firefly / Serenity discussion boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Season 5, Episode 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SerenityMovie.net Forum Index -> The Signal - A Firefly & Serenity Podcast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Season 5, Episode 17 Reply with quote

Show Notes
Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Show timing... Reply with quote

Season 5, Episode 17:

01:09 Les and Kari introduce the show and talk about the Podcast Award Nominations
03:26 Editorial: Firefly Fandom in the era of Dollhouse, by Jill Arroway. Read by Nick Edwards
07:32 Fitting In, a discussion of Shindig written and read by Helen Eaton
18:31 Promo: British Invaders Promo 3
19:00 News from the 'Verse with Kevin Bachelder
21:00 Diary of a Companion Part 5, written by and featuring Anna Snyder, with Miranda Thomas
28:53 Broadwaves: Deadwood, written and read by Les Howard
39:04 Promo: British Invaders Promo 4
39:52 Robots are Great, written by Jill Arroway, read by James Parkinson
46:10 Feedback, read by Miranda Thomas and Kevin Bachelder, and discussed by Les Howard and Kari Haley
o The Signal is now on Facebook
o Music used is Opening (from the movie Bellflower), by Bentley Ousley

59:05 Les and Kari close the show

Last edited by ironbandit on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kbachelder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to IronBandit for putting together the detailed show timings. Smile

Kevin

The Seeker Cast
http://www.theseekercast.com

Tuning Into Scifi TV
http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

The Signal
http://www.serenityfirefly.com

The ScapeCast
http://www.scapecast.org
homeofpoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't gotten to this episode yet (...on season two!). It's great to see it on Facebook, though; not that I'm an avid Facebook user, but because there's some people who are. "Why is <name> into this? What's this podcast?" Boom!

Shiny.
lhoward

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiny thanks to our editors for getting those audio clips in Broadwaves Deadwood in compliance with our rating, but keeping them mostly intact. Skillful job well done!
jorune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: I continue to be impressed by this show Reply with quote

Three cheers for the signal. You've managed to keep the 'verse alive and present in my mind. You're entertaining, well produced and there's real talent and ability in your roster of presenters.

God speed and keep on flying.
TallCard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show timing is such a great idea.

This podcast was chocked full of interesting segments.
Loved the Shindig article.
Lemming

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lhoward wrote:
Shiny thanks to our editors for getting those audio clips in Broadwaves Deadwood in compliance with our rating, but keeping them mostly intact. Skillful job well done!

Heh, tricky, but it worked.

But we still had a (single) complaint because we didn't bleep "goddamn" - a mild (and certainly PG rated compared to some) profanity used in Firefly almost more that any other as "gorram"! Can't please everyone I suppose Smile

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm opposed to any censorship at all, but we had to bleep what we bleeped, or we would have risked being thrown off the iTunes directory, since our feed doesn't have an "explicit" tag.

We were thinking of making the uncensored, unbleeped original available for download. (It wouldn't be on our feed - you'd actually have to go and get it from our website manually). Would anyone be interested in that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companion Kate wrote:
Personally, I'm opposed to any censorship at all, but we had to bleep what we bleeped, or we would have risked being thrown off the iTunes directory, since our feed doesn't have an "explicit" tag.

We were thinking of making the uncensored, unbleeped original available for download. (It wouldn't be on our feed - you'd actually have to go and get it from our website manually). Would anyone be interested in that?

I'm a long ways off from this episode... just about to start season three. But, I would find such an uncensored version interesting. Trick would be remembering to get the uncensored version and not just the one from the feed!
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeofpoe wrote:
I'm a long ways off from this episode... just about to start season three. But, I would find such an uncensored version interesting. Trick would be remembering to get the uncensored version and not just the one from the feed!

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant, an uncensored version of the Broadwaves segment, not the whole Signal. (Broadwaves was the only segment that was bleeped). We wouldn't want to remix the whole Signal episode!

You will certainly notice the various bleeps and silences when you listen to the Signal as aired. That could then be your cue to go and get the original segment, if you so chose.

Anyway, like I said, it's only an idea right now. It may become reality, but it really depends on whether or not it's something our listeners might want. If nobody cares, then we'll probably just move on and forget it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companion Kate wrote:
homeofpoe wrote:

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant, an uncensored version of the Broadwaves segment, not the whole Signal. (Broadwaves was the only segment that was bleeped). We wouldn't want to remix the whole Signal episode!

You will certainly notice the various bleeps and silences when you listen to the Signal as aired. That could then be your cue to go and get the original segment, if you so chose.

Anyway, like I said, it's only an idea right now. It may become reality, but it really depends on whether or not it's something our listeners might want. If nobody cares, then we'll probably just move on and forget it.

Ah ha! Not your fault -- just my lack of knowledge and my confusion in this, hee. Being so behind has its costs -- and midterms have certainly muddled my min.

One segment certainly makes it easier, too! I'd have to hear the piece to really know what sort of difference it would make, but I'm a fan of the uncensored variety for the sake of it's purity to intents/visions. Smile
ironbandit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinkin' that them's complaining just aren't real BC's, or else the 'offending' phrase would've been processed as "gorram". I completely missed the 'offensive' phrase, and if it is part of the original broadcast, those voicing a complaint should just give over. Y'all just report on these programs as they were presented, and I for one, applaud that! If them's had any idea what them Pinyin phrases meant... Wink

While we are on Broadwaves, where is the musical interlude that you lead into the segment from? I know that I've heard it before, but I can't place it...

Last edited by ironbandit on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kbachelder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironbandit wrote:
While we are on Broadwaves, where is the musical interlude that you lead into the segment from? I know that I've heard it before, but I can't place it...

It's the theme song from La Femme Nikita. A very good SpyFi series. Wink

Miranda covered it in a Broadwaves review in episode 7 of this season...

http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/shownotes.php?e=5070

Kevin

The Seeker Cast
http://www.theseekercast.com

Tuning Into Scifi TV
http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

The Signal
http://www.serenityfirefly.com

The ScapeCast
http://www.scapecast.org
ironbandit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sir Kevin. It's a rather haunting melody.

I had another thought, isn't every Broadwaves segment prefaced with a disclaimer about spoilers and such? Perhaps you might want to adjust that preface with words about offensive terms? Albeit, no more than would be found on network TV. That should put any further protests to rest concerning stuff NOT 'bleeped' out.

You present the programs that are reviewed with a pretty good cross section of their episodes, and you shouldn't need to 'dummy' down the dialogue involved in them - it puts the program in proper character. I don't recall any 'bleeps' in your review of "Father Ted"...
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironbandit wrote:
Perhaps you might want to adjust that preface with words about offensive terms?

We would not. Our entire podcast is implicitly prefaced by such a warning, by virtue of it's PG classification. There are three classifications for podcasts: suitable for all, intended for mature audiences only, and the middle ground. We are in the middle ground (which we abbreviate as PG). Anyone who might be offended should not be listening to the Signal, period. Such people should restrict their input to podcasts marked as suitable for all.

Therefore, no additional warnings will be added; we will continue to treat our audience as though they have intelligence (...although it would be quite amusing to add a preface like "This segment contains the words shit, feck and bollocks. If you are likely to be offended..." Laughing )

This podcast may contain nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

I still think we ought to consider making the un-bleeped Deadwood Broadwaves available and see if anyone writes in to complain about it Smile

I think I'm correct in saying that in 5 seasons, we have had just 2 complaints about language (none of which has been uttered by Signal Crew I might add and only one of which was where it had been un-bleeped and frankly, "goddamn" is just not that offensive to the vast majority of folk). In fact I think those are the only 2 we've ever had about anything (wonder if it's the same person?) Certainly the number is very small. Some folk just go out of their way to be offended I guess. So no, we would not ever consider changing anything for so trivial a reason.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh WELL, so the Signal has a "PG" rating? That changes everything. Them's complaining have NO word, er, leg to stand on then. And probably have far too much time on their hands.

Again, the fact that you present any programs that are reviewed in Broadwaves JUST as they are presented on network TV, no harm, no foul. The remainder of the podcast remains devoid of all but the occassional swear word, so the only parties responsible for offensive language are those apart but included. You do an excellent job of producing, by far, the BEST and shiniest podcast about Firefly & Serenity, and is evidenced by the awards that you have been presented with over the past 5 seasons - maybe a couple more waiting in the wings, too.

Last edited by ironbandit on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ironbandit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companion Kate wrote:
(...although it would be quite amusing to add a preface like "This segment contains the words shit, feck and bollocks. If you are likely to be offended..." Laughing )

This podcast may contain nuts.

Oh, I think I see a possible disclaimer for the Holiday Special? Smile

Oh, and all of the nuts are over on Jericho... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SerenityMovie.net Forum Index -> The Signal - A Firefly & Serenity Podcast All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: